Cheshunt Cemetery


8 hectare historic cemetery located in Cheshunt

On Site Facilities

  • Car Park (Free)
  • Disabled Access
  • Disabled Toilets
  • Pushchair Friendly Paths
  • Toilets

Park Information

The original four acre cemetery, still known as ‘the old cemetery’ opened in 1855 as an extension to St Mary’s Churchyard. This was extended further in 1929 by the addition of ‘the new cemetery’ four acres of land to the west of Dark Lane, donated by Admiral of the Fleet, Sir Hedworth Meux, who is interred in the southeast corner of this area. The next extension, of four acres, was added in 1968 and was initally used as a change to the lawn principle; no conventional (traditional) grave options being offered. However, due to public demand, part of the area was given over to conventional graves in 1986. A five acre extension was added in 1992 and a further extension of four acres with 2.7 acres of usable burial space was opened in summer 2014.

Four acres of land, previously used for grazing and adjacent to the existing cemetery, were set aside in 2006 to be used for burial space. In 2014 this area was landscaped to accomodate 312 lawn graves and 331 conventional graves, which should take up to ten years to fill. A community mausoleum was built and opened for sales in February 2015 and the remaining land section will be used to provide a second mausoleum and an additional 1,670 graves, which could take another 30 years to fill.

The cemetery currently holds 15,650 full graves and around 2,000 cremated remains plots. As of 19 November 2020 there are 29,517 people buried at the cemetery.

Two Grade II listed buildings are in the cemetery grounds: The Chapel and The Lodge, both of which are decorative, early Gothic style structures.

The Chapel was constructed ready for the opening of the cemetery in 1855 and is still used for services when required.

The Lodge was also constructed for the opening in 1855 and was used from then until the mid 20th century as a dwelling. For the next 50 years it was used as a mess room and office but was restored as a dwelling in 2006.

The Hearse House has been used for storage since the 1920’s. It is believed to be one of the few remaining Hearse Houses in the country.

The Borough of Broxbourne has, for many years, been home to a large Italian community; attracted here mostly between 1945 and the 1960’s to work in the nurseries and the Borough’s extensive areas of greenhouses. The local Italian residents, not wanting to be either buried in the earth or cremated, opted for interment in a walled grave and over 250 walled graves have been constructed at the Borough’s cemeteries since 1984. Howvever, the first choice of interment would be in a private or community mausoleum, often described as “a little chapel with shelves to put the coffins on” to replicate what is done in Italy or Sicily.

For the benefit of the Italian community, and any other residents who prefer this option, the Council decided to construct a community mausoleum on land, previously used for grazing, adjoining the existing cemetery. The mausoleum was completed in November 2015. It has 144 seperate chambers in four connected blocks of 36 chambers each and each block is three chambers high.

There are also two columbarium walls providing 200 cremated remains niches, a central garden area dividing the mausoleum complex into two halves, an ashes scattering area and a commerative plaque wall.

A second mausoleum was completed in spring 2017. It holds a further 144 chambers.

How to get here


Free parking on site

Public Transport Information:

The nearest bus stop is situated near the corner of College Road and Cromwell Avenue