Open all year
23 ha flagship park in Harpenden with something for all the family. 1 route and 14 points of interest
Food & Drink
Food & Drink
Toddler Play Area
Open from the last weekend of May to the first weekend in September
Built in 2003 and funded by a local businessman and Harpenden Town Council
The former outdoor swimming pool has been rebuilt as a 25 metre indoor heated swimming pool including a health suit. The enlarged centre also provides a crèche, two dance studios, Harpers Gym and a sports hall.
There are five football pitches available to hire during between the end of August and beginning of May. For further information please go to www.stalbans.gov.uk
Rothamsted Park covers an area of 56 acres and is located close to Harpenden town centre. It is adjacent to the world famous Rothamsted Experimental Research Centre.
Whilst the park includes a sports centre, a paddling pool and an indoor swimming pool, the park is much loved for its wide open spaces which provide opportunities for walking and general relaxation.
There is a very popular children’s play area, and the District’s only purpose built skateboard Park.
Rothamsted Park gained Green Flag Award status in 2008. The Green Flag Award Scheme recognises and rewards the best green spaces in the country.
Rothamsted Park was formerly part of the Rothamsted estate owned by Sir John Lawes, a descendant of the Wittewronge family who bought the Manor of Rothamsted in 1623.
Sir John Lawes initiated agricultural experiments in 1843, which led to the founding of the nearby and world famous Rothamsted Research Centre. He also created the formal entrance from Leyton Road to what is now the park, and planted the avenue of Lime trees.
In 1931, the family decided to sell the estate and after a successful public appeal, the Experimental Station was able to finance its purchase of the estate in 1934. In 1938 the Harpenden Urban District Council purchased the land now known as Rothamsted Park from the Experimental Station in order to provide playing fields and to preserve an important open space.
The park’s main entrance gates were removed for salvage during the Second World War and after the war the restoration of the entrance was paid for by the Friends Provident Insurance Company.
In 1975 the nearby sports hall was opened by the Mayor of St Albans City and District, as one of the first major projects of the newly formed St Albans District Council.